Re: Data corruption while taking backup of database

From: Pushker Chaubey <pchaubey(at)vertex(dot)co(dot)in>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Data corruption while taking backup of database
Date: 2008-06-25 08:52:27
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Here is the exact command we use

pg_dump --disable-triggers -v -a -U postgres -p 5432 -h 127.0.0.1 -n pam
-f <backupfilename>

on the postgres database version 8.1.11

Regards,
Pushker Chaubey

Pushker Chaubey wrote:
> Hi Experts,
>
> We took back up of a database using the following command
> pg_dump -a
> Please note that when we took the back the database was available for
> use simultaneously from various clients.
>
> In the back up file that was generated we found some data that was
> violating foreign key constraints. And there fore we were not able to
> restore database back with this back up file.
>
> What may be the possible reasons?
>
> Also please tell me, is it safe if we allow concurrent modification of
> data through DMLs and the same time take the back up using pg_dump?
>
> Regards
> Pushker

The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately and destroy the original message all copies of this message and any attachments.