Re: New EXPLAIN option: ALL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New EXPLAIN option: ALL
Date: 2019-05-15 14:46:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On May 15, 2019 7:20:34 AM PDT, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> wrote:
>> Indeed. I think we should move our regression tests to TAP and
>> dispense with this.

> -inconceivably much

Yeah, that's not happening.

Just eyeing the patch again, it seems like most of the test-output churn
is from a decision to make printing of planner options be on-by-default;
which is also what creates the buildfarm-variant-options hazard. So
I suggest reconsidering that. TBH, even without the regression test
angle, I suspect that such a change would receive a lot of pushback.
It's a pretty big delta in the verbosity of EXPLAIN, and it is frankly
of no value to a lot of people a lot of the time.