Re: Disk Space issue

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Devendra Singh Rawat <Devendra_Rawat(at)infosys(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Disk Space issue
Date: 2008-06-11 16:11:21
Lists: pgsql-admin

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 09:36 +1000, Devendra Singh Rawat wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We are using PostgreSQL 7.4.5 and facing issues with increasing disk space....
>>

> ...I would also suggest strongly you update to the latest 7.4 dot release.

But as always read all the release notes between your current and your
intended version. Usually all that is required for maintenance upgrades
is installing new binaries but you can't assume that is always the case.
For the 7.4 series, pay special attention to the notes for 7.4.8 and 7.4.11:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/release-7-4-8.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/release-7-4-11.html

Since it sounds like you are doing lots of dump and restore, these
issues may not be problematic for you. If possible in your situation,
updating to the latest version (8.3.1) is preferable.

Cheers,
Steve