Re: Weird Popup Menus - pgAdmin 1.8.4

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Christos Vasilakis <cvasilak(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Weird Popup Menus - pgAdmin 1.8.4
Date: 2008-06-11 13:33:34
Lists: pgadmin-support

Dave Page a écrit :
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 9:11 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>> I'm not sure about the wxWidgets bug. I also use poedit and it doesn't seem
>> to be affected.
>
> Can you see in the code what they are doing differently? Do they even
> use & to underline shortcut keys?

No, they use underscores in their .xrc files (I didn't find any menus in
their .cpp code). I tried on our sources but it doesn't fix the issue.
In fact, it makes it worst because I now have two underscores instead of
the shortcut. & seems the way to go, at least when we call the Append
method.

> The reason I believe it's a wxWidgets problem is that this code has
> worked until the last couple of wxWidgets releases, and continues to
> do so on Windows and Mac. Even if it's not strictly a bug (ie. we're
> doing something wrong), I still believe it to be a change in
> behaviour.

Yep.

>> I'm not sure about a specific Ubuntu wxWidgets bug. I compiled wxWidgets
>> 2.8.7 release from scratch and I still had the issue. Didn't try an earlier
>> release though... I'll do it right now.
>
> 2.8.3 or so was unaffected if memory serves.

Yes, it was. I tried 2.8.3, 2.8.4, 2.8.5... this last one is wrong. I
checked the differences between 2.8.4 and 2.8.5, and found that the
culprit seems to be src/gtk/menu.cpp. I copied this file from 2.8.4 to
2.8.5 and, tadammm, 2.8.5 now works :) The same goes for 2.8.7.

AFAICS, this is the changeset that breaks our shortcut handling:
http://trac.wxwidgets.org/changeset/48053/wxWidgets/branches/WX_2_8_BRANCH/src/gtk/menu.cpp

And it's the last changeset on this branch. trunk seems completely changed.

I'm not sure about what we should do. Perhaps stripping the underscore
for the GTK platform. Not an ideal solution though.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org