Re: Proposal: pulling newsbytes from www.pgfoundry.org

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: pulling newsbytes from www.pgfoundry.org
Date: 2008-06-10 06:53:50
Lists: pgsql-www

Josh Berkus wrote:
> WWW team,
>
> In an effort to make PostgreSQL accessory projects more visible, I'd like
> to start including the newsbytes from the pgfoundry main page in the
> www.PostgreSQL.org news ticker. Probably the best way to do this is
> direct database pull. Anyone have time to hack something up?
>
> Also, any reason not to do this? Just so you know, I do edit the newsbytes
> for relevance and brevity.

I would not like to add a direct dependency on the pgfoundry database,
given the track record that pgfoundry has for uptime.

I'd like to see some kind of RSS feed, because we already deal with
caching of them there. That way, the main website will survive the
regular pgfoundry outages (at worst it'll cache an empty file, and leave
the pgfoundry list empty).

Oh, and you need to figure out a way to integrate it nicely: see thread
of a couple of days ago about adding more stuff to the frontpage. (No, I
don't think mergeing it it with the "main news" functionality is a good
idea - at least not unless we moderate it...)

//Magnus