Re: Overhauling GUCS

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date: 2008-06-06 11:45:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gregory Stark wrote:
> So all you have is our existing file except with an additional layer of
> quoting to deal with, a useless SET keyword to annoy users, and a file that
> you need a bison parser
Don't you think that's a little over the top, throwing bison at the
simple task to extend postgresql.conf scanning so it accepts --, /**/
and SET?

> to deal instead of a simple keyword-value syntax that
> sed can manipulate.

sed seems to be THE killer application... Apart from the fact that sed
easily could identify SET, my answer would be to use psql to modify the
config, not sed.

Text config files are NOT friendly for beginner and mediocre users. IMHO
the current restriction on GUC changes is a major obstacle towards pgsql
tuning tools, e.g. written as a Google SoC project. Graphic tools aren't
too popular at pgsql-hackers, but please contemplate a little how much
pgadmin may have contributed to the pgsql usage boost, esp. on windows.

Regards,
Andreas