Re: Overhauling GUCS

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date: 2008-06-05 17:35:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jun 2008, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
>> We really need a "proper API" for it, and the stuff in pgAdmin isn't
>> even enough to base one on.
>
> I would be curious to hear your opinion on whether the GUC overhaul
> discussed in this thread is a useful precursor to building such a
> proper API.

Since I'm the guy who initially wrote that config file editing stuff, I
feel somehow addressed.
The answer is a clear ABSOLUTELY.

- The current implementation is able to edit the file directly or
through pgsql functions; any format change will affect that function
immediately.
- If documentation is enhanced by adding more comments in the
postgresql.conf file, this won't help the editor because it can't rely
on it to present help and hints to the user. It needs the comments/help
in pg_settings or alike.

Regards,
Andreas