Re: does postgresql works on distributed systems?

From: Justin <justin(at)emproshunts(dot)com>
To: avin_friends(at)yahoo(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: does postgresql works on distributed systems?
Date: 2008-06-03 21:33:29
Lists: pgsql-general

aravind chandu wrote:
Hi,
>> My question is
>> Microsoft sql server 2005 cannot be shared on multiple systems
i,e in a network environment when it is installed in one system it
cannot be accessed one other systems.

This don't make any sense. Are your taking about sharing the actual mdb
files or access the service itself??? This question is just confusing.

I have SQL Server 2000 that runs our website and other older
applications. we are moving off of it but we have lots of people using
the services via ADO.Net, ODBC, OLE-DB and COM. There are all kinds of
API interfaces to pick from to get to SQL server.

Are you talking license limitations you are running into? There are big
restrictions in that front. SQL Server Express is hard coded on its
limitation on the number users it can sever at any given point. Now MS
SQL Server Standard/Enterprise can be purchased in a couple of
different client license modes and i'm way behind on what the current
configuration options are.

>>One can access only from a system where it is already installed but
not on the system where there is no sqlserver.Is postgresql similar to
sql server or does it supports >>network sharing i,e one one can access
postgresql from any system irrespective on which system it is installed.

Again What are you talking about? The actual files or access to the
Service/Port???

Your Questions are confusing can you clarify
I'm guessing at what you mean???