Re: function returning result set of varying column

From: "Bart Degryse" <Bart(dot)Degryse(at)indicator(dot)be>
To: "maria s" <psmg01(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: function returning result set of varying column
Date: 2008-06-03 13:17:43
Lists: pgsql-sql

As I wrote before you will have to define your fields when querying the function,
eg. select * from myfunction() as ("field1" integer, "field2" text, ...)
So suppose you have a table like this
CREATE TABLE sometable (
"id" serial,
"sometextfield" text,
"aninteger" int,
"andavarchar" varchar(20)
);
you would have to query the function below like this:
select * from myfunction() as ("id" integer, "sometextfield" text, "aninteger" integer, "andavarchar" varchar);

You are however not obliged to use the same fieldnames as defined in the table definition, so this will work too:
select * from myfunction() as ("myid" integer, "textfield" text, "myint" integer, "varfield" varchar);

Automatic type conversion will work too, so this is ok too
select * from myfunction() as ("myid" integer, "textfield" text, "myint" integer, "varfield" text);

Now suppose you change the selecte statement in myfunction to
SELECT sometextfield, andavarchar FROM sometable WHERE id > 5

Now myfunction will not return 4 fields but only 2 and thus you would query myfunction like this
select * from myfunction() as ("sometextfield" text, "andavarchar" varchar);
or
select * from myfunction() as ("textfield" text, "varfield" varchar);
or
select * from myfunction() as ("textfield" text, "varfield" text);

So defining your function as RETURNS SETOF RECORD only postpones the moment you define your output fields.

Either you define your output fields when creating your function, or (like in the above example) when querying your function.

>>> "maria s" <psmg01(at)gmail(dot)com> 2008-06-03 15:12 >>>
Hi Bart,
I will not know the number of fields. Because it will vary .
Is there any solution for this?

Thanks,
Maria

>>> "maria s" <psmg01(at)gmail(dot)com> 2008-06-03 15:01 >>>
Hi Friends,
Thanks for all your for the reply.

I tried the function and when I execute it using
select * from myfunction()
it says
ERROR: a column definition list is required for functions returning "record"

Could you please help me to fix this error?

Thanks so much for your help.

-maria