Re: Weeks elapsed to Months elapsed conversion

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Allan Kamau <allank(at)sanbi(dot)ac(dot)za>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Weeks elapsed to Months elapsed conversion
Date: 2008-05-30 15:13:47
Lists: pgsql-sql

Allan Kamau wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a simple question (tried googling but found no answers). How do I
> convert weeks elapsed into months elapsed?
> I have data that contains duration in weeks (without any other date
> values such as year and so on) for example a week value of 14 and I
> would like to convert the 14 weeks to 3 months (some lose of accuracy
> expected).
> Expected tests may be:
> 14 weeks yields 3 months.
> 1 weeks yields 0 months.

Are these stored as intervals?

=> SELECT extract(month from justify_days('14 weeks'::interval));
date_part
-----------
3
(1 row)

=> SELECT extract(month from justify_days('1 week'::interval));
date_part
-----------
0
(1 row)

If you just have a number (e.g. 14) then you can just do something like:

=> SELECT round(14 * 7 / 30);
round
-------
3