Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL
Date: 2008-05-29 21:09:28
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

David,

> I think having master-slave replication in the core using WAL is a
> *great* thing to do, doable, a good path to go on, etc., and I think
> it's worth holding up 8.4 until we have at least one actual
> out-of-the-box version of same.

Ah, ok. Well, I can tell you that the core team is also united on the
value of time-based as opposed to feature-based release cycles. *if* we
can develop this in time for 8.4, everybody would be overjoyed, but I
also think we should be realistic.

> People have hinted that we might be able to get both a synchronous one
> and an asynchronous one based on WAL, which would be even better. :)

That's the idea, yes. No reason to dump asynch WAL copying when it's
already working.

--Josh