Re: Feature Request: PSQLException verbosity option

From: Daniel Migowski <dmigowski(at)ikoffice(dot)de>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature Request: PSQLException verbosity option
Date: 2008-05-20 07:45:08
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Kris Jurka schrieb:

> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Daniel Migowski wrote:
>
>> For my application it would be great to be able to increase the
>> verbosity of the SQLExceptions. I found out that PSQL-Exceptions that
>> are based on server errors call ServerErrorMessage.toString(), which
>> itself is configured with a verbosity parameter which equals the
>> loglevel of the PostgreSQL JDBC Driver. By setting the loglevel to 1
>> (INFO), the driver prints info to the DriverManager.getLogWriter() in
>> other occassions, too, which is not exactly what I need. Currently I
>> solve this dilemma by using the driver option "loglevel=1", and
>> setting DriverManager's logwriter to a NullPrintStream.
>>
>> Would it be possible to add an exceptionloglevel option to the
>> driver? This option would make the driver silent, but the exeptions,
>> which get commonly printed to logfiles, more verbose.
>
> Maybe we should just increase the default verbosity. The original
> idea was that we didn't want to overwhelm the stacktrace with
> secondary information. Perhaps we should just dump everything we can
> as it's obviously useful in these cases.
>
> Kris Jurka

Sounds great. The only "strange" thing with PostgreSQL-Exceptions will
then be that they have multilined messages, which is AFAIK uncommon, but
not forbidden, in Java, but might eventually break logfile parsers. In
my case i like the multiline exceptions. Another possibility would be to
print all the information into a single line, and work a bit on the
formatting to have this look good.

With best regards,
Daniel Migowski