Re: after postgresql install my pc freezes/slows critically

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: zax zax <zaxtorrent(at)freemail(dot)hu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: after postgresql install my pc freezes/slows critically
Date: 2008-05-20 07:00:42
Lists: pgsql-general

zax zax wrote:

> I installed postgresql on my pc
> put it short: my whole pc slowed dramatically
> my pc became useless
>
> I tried uninstalling postgresql, freezing and slowing remained
>
> i tried system restore, freezing and slowing remained

It's nothing to do with PostgreSQL then. It can't be. Installing
PostgreSQL must trigger something else that's causing the problem.

You don't say what's happening though - do you see a lot of disk
activity, CPU activity or what?

> i figured there might be an issue with my firewall + antivirus software -
> Norton Internet Security 2004 -

A sensible guess - Norton can interfere with all sorts of stuff.

> So after the format c: new windows, and BEFORE installing NIS i
> installed postgresql on a new absolutely virgin windows setup
>
> same freezing going slowly, freezing stuff:(

The wipe + reinstall approach is understandable with Windows, but makes
it difficult to find the real problem. Since you had problems straight
away, that suggests one of three things:
1. Some subtle hardware fault (although that would cause crashes).
2. A "bad" version of Windows (could you be missing a correct driver?)
3. A virus that's surviving a re-format (unlikely).

> so I had to format c: again and put up windows again with a plan that I
> never would try to install postgresql again on this configuration as it
> would ruin my pc and I would need to install for 3 days again.
>
> I wouldn't plan to buy a complete new hardware just because of this as
> this machine is not that old and should be perfect
>
> my config is
>
> Intel P4 2,8G
> Asus P4P800 SE (i848P)
> 1 G PC3200 DDR
> 3 harddisk over 700 G space
> ATI Radeon HD2400
>
> Win XP Sp2 with all updates
> NIS2k4

That's fine, although if you're running a lot of memory-hungry
applications you could be causing the machine to run out of memory. With
your clean install though, that's plenty of machine - lots of systems
out there are smaller than that.

So - we need to see exactly what's happening.

You might find some of the sysinternals tools useful:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx?PHPSESSID=9692e6...
ProcessExplorer and FileMon can be handy to show what's going on.

First though, turn to the built-in task-manager (ctrl+alt+del and select
from the menu). That should give you a first guess. Make a note of
what's happening both before and after you install PG and when it's
running / stopped.

> I'm a classic "user" I can install anything but haven't got a clue about
> real programming or informatic skills, I don't understand postgresql
> either:)
>
> I can't figure out what part of it messes up with what part or either if
> it's software or hardware related, I never ever had any compatibility
> issues on this config in the 3-4 years i've been using this one

You won't need any programming or PostgreSQL skills. You will need
Windows administration skills, and to be honest you might find more
expert help in a Windows forum rather than a PG forum. Lots of friendly
people here, but they're database experts rather than Windows experts.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd