Re: Postgres service stops when I kill client backend on Windows

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dmitry Vasilyev <d(dot)vasilyev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres service stops when I kill client backend on Windows
Date: 2015-10-10 15:23:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 5:52 AM, Dmitry Vasilyev
>> postgres=# select 1;
>> server closed the connection unexpectedly
>> This probably means the server terminated abnormally
>> before or while processing the request.
>> The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: Failed.

> Hmm. I'd expect that to cause a crash-and-restart cycle, just like a
> SIGQUIT would cause a crash-and-restart cycle on Linux. But I would
> expect the server to end up running again at the end, not stopped.

It *is* a crash and restart cycle, or at least no evidence to the
contrary has been provided.

Whether psql's attempt to do an immediate reconnect succeeds or not is
very strongly timing-dependent, on both Linux and Windows. It's easy
for it to attempt the reconnection before crash recovery is complete,
and then you get the above symptom. Personally I get a "Failed" result
more often than not, regardless of platform.