Re: [HACKERS] WITH RECURSIVE patch V0.1

From: Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Zoltan Boszormenyi <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] WITH RECURSIVE patch V0.1
Date: 2008-05-18 23:30:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 5:22 PM, Zoltan Boszormenyi <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at> wrote:
>
>> Can we get the rows in tree order, please? I.e. something like this:
>>

> Is ordering by tree order defined in the standard when no explicit
> order is given? If not, it probably returns them in the order they
> are pulled up, which might be the fastest way

+1 for the fastest way, which I expect to often be "find all level 1
matches", "find all level 2 matches", ... If ORDER BY is important, it
should be specified (although it may be difficult or impossible to
properly represent ORDER BY for a tree? not sure?) I think most uses of
recursive require extra client side code to deal with anyways, so only
relative order is important (order within a particular branch).

There are things I'd like to use this for right now. Currently I use
plpgsql procedures to implement my own recursion. :-)

Cheers,
mark

--
Mark Mielke <mark(at)mielke(dot)cc>