idle process & autovacuum

From: "Gauthier, Dave" <dave(dot)gauthier(at)intel(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: idle process & autovacuum
Date: 2010-07-30 14:52:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi:

I have a perl/dbi script that's loading a lot of data into a DB (probably about 8,000,000 records). pg_stat_activity shows the script's activity alongside another process with current_query as...

autovacuum: ANALYZE public.instance_pins

The total instance_pins table cardinality is about 60,000,000. The script inserts records but never updates or deletes anything. And before the script runs, the table is truncated. The script's process seems to be stalled in the meantime.

This is a new phenomena as of yesterday. The only change is that I added an index on that table. But I created the new index yesterday (create index...) and it completed OK.

What does this message mean in that context? Is this indicative of someting being misconfigured in the DB?

version 8.3.4 on Linux.

Thanks !