Pulling data from a constraint def

From: "Gauthier, Dave" <dave(dot)gauthier(at)intel(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Pulling data from a constraint def
Date: 2010-05-12 01:38:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi:

I have a constraint defined on a table....

constraint design_style_is_invalid check (design_style in ('rls','sdp','rf','ssa','rom','rpt','analog','sdprpt','clkdist','global')),

Is there a way to get the valid values in the list from the metadata somehow? Specifically, when someone hits this constraint, I want to not oonly tell them they entered an invalid value, but give them the list of valid choices at the same time.

I'd rather not put these in a table and implement with a foreogn key constraint for performance reasons. (Does that make sense?)

-dave