Re: problem with serial data type and access

From: Ottavio Campana <ottavio(at)campana(dot)vi(dot)it>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problem with serial data type and access
Date: 2008-05-15 16:14:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Scott Marlowe ha scritto:
> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 7:54 AM, Ottavio Campana <ottavio(at)campana(dot)vi(dot)it> wrote:
>> I know it's not fully IT with the list, but maybe somebody can help me.
>>
>> I'm dealing with this scenario: access 97 is connected through odbc to a
>> postgresql server. All tables are saved in postgresql and access is used
>> only to generated the program interface.
>>
>> Everything works fines, but I'm having problems with the serial data type. I
>> know a serial is an integer having as default the next value of a sequence.
>> Since it is an integer, access does not recognize it as an autoincrement
>> value, and it asks for is value.
>>
>> Did anyone of you already have this problem?
>
> Can you feed it a value of DEFAULT???

I'd like to, but I don't think I could do it.

The fact is that the serial data type is in pratice an integer, and when
I also try to connect with pgadminIII I see an integer data type and not
a serial. I think that since it sees an integer, it does not understand
that it is a serial, and access does not recognize it as autoincrement.

I'm stuck at this point...

--
Non c'e' piu' forza nella normalita', c'e' solo monotonia.