Re: Patch to change psql default banner v6

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch to change psql default banner v6
Date: 2008-05-15 00:52:47
Lists: pgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>
>>> If you type 'help' it just repeats the startup banner suggestion:
>>>
>>> test=> help
>>>
>>> You are using psql, the command-line interface to PostgreSQL.
>>> Type \? for help.
>> I think we wanted to have more information in 'help', not less. Making
>> it just repeat the startup info is not very helpful.
>
> I thought about that, but aren't we just repeating the top of \?. Is
> that helpful? Should we just display \?.

I am a little confused here. The whole point of this patch is to remove
all extraneous information from the startup banner and push it to a
"help" screen. Thus type help for help.

If you type help you get your help options.

> I know we decided not to do that, but I am trying to figure out what the
> goal if 'help' is? To display the most frequently-used help commands?
> Aren't they at the top of \?.

The purpose of help is to provide what help options there are available
to those who need them.

Joshua D. Drake