Testing JDBC Prepared Statements

From: Daniel Migowski <dmigowski(at)ikoffice(dot)de>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Testing JDBC Prepared Statements
Date: 2008-05-14 14:44:59
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hello dear developers,

We are beginning to have a bunch of SQL statements in an evolving
application, and are facing the problem, that every rename of a database
attribute (refactor early and often ;), breaks some of our statements.

To find what we broke, we are currently looking for postgresql to
prepare all the statements, without actually executing them, and to see,
which fail.

As far as I understand, the JDBC API wraps the internal implementation
of PreparedStatements from the user (and with PostgreSQL, there is a
distinction between client/server side prepared statements, anyway).

Is it possible with the PostgreSQL JDBC driver (leaving the JDBC API
space is allowed) to serverside prepare a statement without executing it?

With best regards,
Daniel Migowski