Re: psql wrapped format default for backslash-d commands

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Brendan Jurd" <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql wrapped format default for backslash-d commands
Date: 2008-05-09 20:47:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>> "Brendan Jurd" <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 3:52 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
wrote:
>> Now that psql '\pset format wrapped' is in CVS, we should consider
when
>> we want to use 'wrapped' format by default. I think psql \df and
\dT
>> certainly can benefit from wrapped mode. \df+ even displays,
though
>> there is quite a bit of wrapping.
>
> I for one would definitely like backslash commands with very wide
> output to be wrapped by default.

I would prefer the default to be the current 8.2 behavior. As long as
I can configure that easily it's not a huge deal, but I may have to
deal with some users whose ad hoc queries feed into spreadsheets or
some such that will be broken until they do something new.

I currently use \x to view results about once a month (on average). I
expect to find wrapped columns useful about that often. I cut and
paste multi-line unwrapped output from my console window practically
daily, and the wrapping would make that painful. That just got me
thinking -- has anyone tried this out with EXPLAIN ANALYZE output yet?

-Kevin