Joining with result of a plpgsql function

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Joining with result of a plpgsql function
Date: 2008-05-08 03:28:10
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello,

I have a pl/pgsql function, defined as:

CREATE FUNCTION tms.get_tms_summary(id integer)
RETURNS tms.tms_summary

get_tms_summary returns a composite type, tms_summary, which is
comprised of several numerics.

What I would like to do is something like:

select f.id, f.name, tms.get_tms_summary(f.id) from foo f;

However this returns only three columns, the third of which is the
entire complex data type in one column.

I can do: select * from tms.get_tms_summary(99);

But I would really like to be able to combine it with other data and get
a result set that looked like:

f.id, f.name, tms_summary.col1, tms_summary.col2 ...

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you,

Matthew O'Connor