Re: configure option for XLOG_BLCKSZ

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Mark Wong <markwkm(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: configure option for XLOG_BLCKSZ
Date: 2008-05-02 07:04:41
Lists: pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Mark Wong" <markwkm(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> I saw a that a patch was committed that exposed a configure switch for
>> BLCKSZ. I was hoping that I could do that same for XLOG_BLCKSZ.
>
> Well, we certainly *could*, but what's the use-case really? The case
> for varying BLCKSZ is marginal already, and I've seen none at all for
> varying XLOG_BLCKSZ. Why do we need to make it easier than "edit
> pg_config_manual.h"?

The use case I could see is for performance testing but I would concur
that it doesn't take much to modify pg_config_manual.h. In thinking
about it, this might actually be a foot gun. You have a new pg guy,
download source and think to himself..., "Hey I have a 4k block size as
formatted on my hard disk". Then all of a sudden they have an
incompatible PostgreSQL with everything else.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake