Re: [INTERFACES] Postgres Limitations

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jim Carroll <jim(at)carroll(dot)com>
Cc: "Jackson, DeJuan" <djackson(at)cpsgroup(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Postgres Limitations
Date: 1999-02-03 16:42:01
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Jim Carroll <jim(at)carroll(dot)com> writes:
>> It is currently unclear as to what will happen when you table reaches 2G
>> of storage on most file systems. I think that >2G table handling got
>> broken somehow.

> I know this is probably a "loaded" question, but do have any idea what
> might be the cause of this limitation ?

Postgres does have logic for coping with tables > 2Gb by splitting them
into multiple Unix files. Peter Mount recently reported that this
feature appears to be broken in the current sources (cf hackers mail
list archive for 25/Jan/99). I don't think anyone has followed up on
the issue yet. (I dunno about the other developers, but I don't have a
few Gb of free space to spare so I can't test it...) You could make a
useful contribution by either determining that the feature does work, or
fixing it if it's busted. Probably wouldn't be a very complex fix, but
I've never looked at that part of the code.

If your total database will exceed the space available on a single
filesystem on your platform, you will have to play some games with
symbolic links in order to spread the table files across multiple
filesystems. I don't know of any gotchas in doing that, but it's
kind of a pain for the DB admin to have to do it by hand.