Re: Help! ERROR: could not open relation

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>
To: Mircea Moisei <mcmoisei(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Help! ERROR: could not open relation
Date: 2008-04-29 16:34:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Mircea Moisei wrote:
> I get this strange error
>

> Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: could not open
> relation 1663/53544/58374: No such file or directory
>
> How do I recover from it ? Postgresql version 8.2 on windows.

Which update? 8.2.? - newer updates may have fixed the issue.

XP or Vista?

> I think I had an hardware issue in the past where my box rebooted few
> times I assume this is due to that thing.

My guess is it's a good bet.

Have you fixed the problem (hardware or virus)?

> I tried to re index them but is not working. Any ideas ?

So postgresql is starting but you get this error when you run a query
that should use an index?

Or do you get this when you run reindex?

Have you tried drop index then create index instead?

Is there more you know that would indicate the problem is an index?

> Can one tell how do I start the server in stand alone mode in windows ?
> I tried via the postgres command but still can't reindex all...

Is the postgres service running? If so you need to stop it before trying
the command line. In XP right click My Computer select manage then
services. Locate postgres and stop it.

I haven't tried on windows but as far as I know you have the same options.
From a dos prompt (I would cd to c:\program files\postgresql\8.2\bin)
enter postgres --single dbwithproblems

--

Shane Ambler