typedefs for indent

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: typedefs for indent
Date: 2008-04-20 21:37:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

OK, I have spent some time generating and filtering typdefs via objdump
on various platforms. I filtered them and Bruce's list to eliminate
items not actually found in the sources thus:

while read line ; do grep -q -w -r --exclude="*.data" --exclude="*.out"
--exclude="*.sql" --exclude="*.po" --exclude='*akefile' $line
pgsql.head/src/backend pgsql.head/src/include pgsql.head/src/bin
pgsql.head/src/interfaces pgsql.head/src/pl pgsql.head/src/port
pgsql.head/src/timezone/*.[ch] pgsql.head/src/test/regress/*.[ch]
pgsql.head/contrib && echo $line; done

(This filter runs a lot faster than the one Alvaro posted.)

If someone can point me where to get objdump for OSX I'll look at
generating a list there too.

The results can be seen at:

http://developer.postgresql.org/~adunstan/linux-found
http://developer.postgresql.org/~adunstan/mingw-found
http://developer.postgresql.org/~adunstan/cygwin-found
http://developer.postgresql.org/~adunstan/bruce-bsdos-found

counts:

2010 bruce-bsdos-found
2036 cygwin-found
1979 linux-found
2125 mingw-found

It seems clear (as we expected) that this process is sensitive to both
the build system and build options used. It's not just additive, though.
Bruce has some symbols that my linux build doesn't have because he
didn't build with openssh.

So I continue to think the best way to generate a list will be to
consolidate lists generated from the buildfarm which represents a wide
variety of build scenarios.

Is anyone else looking at GNU indent to see if it has improved enough to
meet our needs?

cheers

andrew