Could not create a tablespace - permission denied

From: Graham Leggett <minfrin(at)sharp(dot)fm>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Could not create a tablespace - permission denied
Date: 2008-04-19 12:58:35
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi all,

While attempting to create a tablespace as the postgres user under RHEL5
with *no* SELinux enabled, I get the following error:

postgres=# CREATE TABLESPACE fma LOCATION '/home/chandler/fma/db/pgsql';
ERROR: could not set permissions on directory
"/home/chandler/fma/db/pgsql": Permission denied

The user postgres is able to access the directory, and the user postgres
is able to set permissions on the directory to 0700:

-bash-3.1$ chmod 700 /home/chandler/fma/db/pgsql
-bash-3.1$

Does anyone know what I should do to fix this?

Regards,
Graham