Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width

From: Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2(at)obviously(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com
Subject: Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width
Date: 2008-04-17 04:12:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I spent time reviewing your patch --- quite impressive. I have attached
> and updated version with mostly stylistic changes.
>
> In testing I found the regression tests were failing because of a divide
> by zero error (fixed), and a missing case where the column delimiter has
> to be ":". In fact I now see all your line continuation cases using ":"
> rather than "!". It actually looks better --- "!" was too close to "|"
> to be easily recognized. (Did you update your patch to use ":". I
> didn't see "!" in your patch.)
Nice! I'll merge with my current version. As you note I changed to ":".

I also found that for hugely wide output it was better to give up (do
nothing), rather than mangle the output in a futile attempt to squash it
to the window width. So there is one more clause in the wrapping if.

I have tested on several unix flavors, but not on Windows or cygwin.

-Bryce