How to find double entries

From: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to find double entries
Date: 2008-04-16 03:15:43
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

how can I find double entries in varchar columns where the content is
not 100% identical because of a spelling error or the person considered
it "looked nicer" that way?

I'd like to identify and then merge records of e.g. 'google', 'gogle',
'guugle'

Then I want to match abbrevations like 'A-Company Ltd.', 'a company
ltd.', 'A-Company Limited'

Is there a way to do this?
It would be OK just to list candidats up to be manually checked afterwards.

Regards
Andreas