Re: shared_buffers performance

From: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Subject: Re: shared_buffers performance
Date: 2008-04-15 09:05:12
Lists: pgsql-performance

Greg Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, Gaetano Mendola wrote:
>
>> I'm using postgres 8.2.3 on Red Hat compiled with GCC 3.4.6.
>
> 8.2.3 has a performance bug that impacts how accurate pgbench results
> are; you really should be using a later version.
>
>> http://img84.imageshack.us/my.php?image=totalid7.png
>> as you can see using 64MB as value for shared_buffers I'm obtaining
>> better results.
>
> I'm assuming you've read my scaling article at
> http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/content/postgresql/pgbench-scaling.htm
> since you're using the graph template I suggest there.

Yes I was basically inspired from that page, my true goal is not to study
the effect of shared_buffers (this was a side effect) but to study the
performance lose using DRBD on our server. I'm producing similar graph
using pgperf without -S, I will post them as soon they are ready.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola