Re: postgres_fdw bug in 9.6

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgres_fdw bug in 9.6
Date: 2017-03-16 15:37:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1/23/17 4:56 AM, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> On 2017/01/20 14:24, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 10:38 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
>> wrote:

>>> Some, or many? How many?
>
>> AFAIU, the problem esp. with parameterized paths is this: If rel1 is
>> required to be parameterized by rel2 (because of lateral references?),
>> a nested loop join with rel2 as outer relation and rel1 as inner
>> relation is possible. postgres_fdw and hence this function, however
>> doesn't consider all the possible join combinations and thus when this
>> function is presented with rel1 as outer and rel2 as inner would
>> refuse to create a path. More generally, while creating local paths,
>> we try many combinations of participating relations, some of which do
>> not produce local paths and some of them do (AFAIK, it happens in case
>> of lateral references, but there might be other cases). postgres_fdw,
>> however considers only a single combination, which may or may not have
>> produced local path. In such a case, postgres_fdw would create a
>> foreign join path but won't get a local path and thus bail out.
>
> I had second thoughts; one idea how to build parameterized paths to
> avoid this issue is: as in postgresGetForeignPaths, to (1) identify
> which outer relations could supply additional safe-to-send-to-remote
> join clauses, and (2) build a parameterized path and its alternative
> local-join path for each such outer relation. In #1, we could look at
> the join relation's ppilist to identify interesting outer relations. In
> #2, the local-join path corresponding to each such outer relation could
> be built from the cheapest-total paths for the outer and inner
> relations, using CreateLocalJoinPath, so that the result path has the
> outer relation as its required_outer.
>
>>> I'm a bit sketchy about this kind of thing, though:
>>>
>>> ! if (required_outer)
>>> {
>>> ! bms_free(required_outer);
>>> ! return NULL;
>>> }
>>>
>>> I don't understand what would stop that from making this fail to
>>> generate parameterized paths in some cases in which it would be legal
>>> to do so, and the comment is very brief.
>
>> I am not so much worried about this though :).
>> GetExistingLocalJoinPath() also does not handle that case. The new
>> function is not making it worse in this case.
>> 731 /* Skip parameterised paths. */
>> 732 if (path->param_info != NULL)
>> 733 continue;
>
> One idea to remove such extra checks is to pass the required_outer to
> CreateLocalJoinPath like the attached. As described above, the caller
> would have that set before calling that function, so we wouldn't need to
> calculate that set in that function.
>
> Other changes:
>
> * Also modified CreateLocalJoinPath so that we pass outer/inner paths,
> not outer/inner rels, because it would be more flexible for the FDW to
> build the local-join path from paths it chose.
> [...]

This patch does not apply cleanly at cccbdde:

$ patch -p1 < ../other/epqpath-for-foreignjoin-5.patch
patching file contrib/postgres_fdw/expected/postgres_fdw.out
patching file contrib/postgres_fdw/postgres_fdw.c
patching file contrib/postgres_fdw/sql/postgres_fdw.sql
patching file doc/src/sgml/fdwhandler.sgml
patching file src/backend/foreign/foreign.c
Hunk #2 FAILED at 696.
src/backend/foreign/foreign.c.rej
patching file src/backend/optimizer/path/joinpath.c
Hunk #1 FAILED at 25.
Hunk #8 FAILED at 894.
src/backend/optimizer/path/joinpath.c.rej
patching file src/include/foreign/fdwapi.h
patching file src/include/nodes/relation.h

Marked "Waiting on Author".

--
-David
david(at)pgmasters(dot)net