Re: Questionable tag usage

From: Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Questionable tag usage
Date: 2017-01-11 08:46:28
Lists: pgsql-docs

Some general notes to the discussion about <xref> vs. <link> rendering
in the new toolchain:

(1) There is a general distinction in the *meaning* of the two elements:
<xref> is an internal link with validation semantic whereas <link> is an
external link to any URL. See:
http://doccookbook.sourceforge.net/html/en/dbc.markup.xref-vs-link.html

(2) The *rendering* of <xref> can be customized via its
xrefstyle-attribute. It switches numbering, title, page number, ... on
or off, see:
http://doccookbook.sourceforge.net/html/en/dbc.markup.xref.html#sec.markup.xref.xrefstyle
. This feature is available per element usage or as a default behaviour,
which is defined in the language file of the xslt process (eg: en.xml).

(3) The option to render the xref-output as described in (2) is
available since docbook 4.3. Unfortunately we use docbook 4.2. To
overcome this shortage we can use the following - more or less
cumbersome - workaround:
http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/CustomXrefs.html#RoleNotXrefstyle and
http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/CustomGentext.html .

Kind regards, Jürgen Purtz