Re: libpq Win32 Mutex performance patch

From: Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libpq Win32 Mutex performance patch
Date: 2008-04-11 19:11:26
Lists: pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com> writes:
>> The attached patch replaces the win32 mutex calls with critical section
>> calls. The change will not affect the behavior of the windows
>> pthread_xxx functions.
>
> Why have you defined the lock/unlock functions as willing to fall
> through silently if handed a null pointer? I think a crash in
> such a case is what we *want*. Silently not locking is surely
> not very safe.
>
> regards, tom lane

Yeah, both naughty.

These functions were not implemented to spec. These pthread functions
are all supposed to return an int (which is an errno value). I was
trying not to change the existing prototypes ... should I? I can return
EINVAL if something is NULL and ENOMEM if the malloc fails ... or just
dump core.

If you like the return value idea, I can make all occurances of
pthread_xxx check the return value.

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC