invalid message format and I/O error while comunicating with backend

From: Sergi Vera <svera(at)emovilia(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: invalid message format and I/O error while comunicating with backend
Date: 2008-04-09 12:07:34
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hello

I have a small server written in java. It receives data through UDP ports, and queues data until several working threads process the data.
The process involves launching several prepared statements selects/inserts over different db schemas for every data packet received.

The server and the database are both on the same machine. I would like to have a moderate to high level of throughput, as I'm interested in being able to
receive several data per second.

Everything is working ok and fast, but at some moment (sometimes sooner, sometimes later) the server starts to fail with the following messages

org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: invalid message format (for the first failure)
org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: A I/O error has happened while sending to backend (at every following jdbc call)

(Message errors are freely translated from the original spanish messages)

At first I though it was because of connection pooling, but I have tried it with and without pooling with no success.
Every working thread has one connection which last for as long as the program is running. This single connection per thread is used to access several schemas of the same data base.

It seems that sending data to the server faster makes the error to appear sooner.

I have'nt foound any suitable clue about it while googleing.. so I hope someone can help me here

More data:
PostgreSQL 8.1.10 (Ubuntu)
postgresql-8.2-507.jdbc4.jar

commons-dbcp-1.2.2
commons-pool-1.3

Thanks in advance

--
<http://www.emovilia.com/>

Sergio Vera
Rosellón, 34, 5 Planta
08029 Barcelona
tel. 902101870
www.emovilia.com

IMPRIME ESTE EMAIL Y SUS ARCHIVOS SI REALMENTE LOS NECESITAS.
GRACIAS POR RESPETAR EL MEDIO AMBIENTE.

NOTA: La información contenida en este email, y sus documentos adjuntos,
es confidencial y para uso exclusivo de la persona o personas a las que
va dirigido. No está permitido el acceso a este mensaje a otra persona
distinta a los indicados. Si no es uno de los destinatarios o ha
recibido este mensaje por error, cualquier duplicación, reproducción,
distribución, así como cualquier uso de la información contenida o
cualquiera otra acción tomada en relación con el mismo, está prohibida y
puede ser ilegal.

ADVICE: The information in this email as in the attachments is
confidential and private for exclusive use of the target user group.
Access to this message is disallowed to any other than the addressee. If
you are not the addressee or you have been included by mistake, any
duplication, reproduction, distribution as any other action relative to
this email is strictly forbidden and might be illegal.