Re: File system snapshots for multiple file systems

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: tomas(at)tuxteam(dot)de, "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: File system snapshots for multiple file systems
Date: 2008-04-08 19:39:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
>> What I was complaining/suggesting is that we should make what you did to
>> actually work, because it's a lot simpler. And as Jonah pointed out,
>> we'd need to inhibit checkpoints between pg_start_backup() and
>> pg_stop_backup() to make it work.
>
> I don't think that follows --- what you'd need is to prevent the
> checkpoints from removing/recycling old WAL files, but you can still
> allow a checkpoint to occur. Any subsequent recovery from the backup
> would need to replay from the checkpoint identified by the backup label
> file anyway.

I was thinking that the restore would be a normal non-PITR recovery, but
if we do it as a PITR restore, that's true.

> Whether it's a good idea or not is a bit debatable though. I'm
> concerned about the WAL partition filling up (--> PANIC), especially
> if you forget to pg_stop_backup after getting your backup.

Yep, that would suck. We already have that problem if you set up
continuous archiving, and archive_command starts failing, don't we?

As a simple safeguard, we could have user-settable max. number of
segments, and give up on the backup after that. Though failing the
backup isn't nice either..

--
Heikki Linnakangas