Re: Partitioned tables - planner wont use indexes

From: Bricklen Anderson <banderson(at)presinet(dot)com>
To: kevin kempter <kevin(at)kevinkempterllc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Partitioned tables - planner wont use indexes
Date: 2008-04-07 15:52:50
Lists: pgsql-performance

kevin kempter wrote:
> One of the things we need to query is the min date from the master table
> - we may explore alternatives for this particular query, however even if
> we fix this query I think we have a fundamental issue with the use of
> indexes (actuallt the non-use) by the planner.

We had a similar requirement, so I've been using a function that loops
over the child tables, and queries for the min date from each. If all
you need is the date, you can try a function call. Here is a modified
version of what I've been using:

CREATE OR REPLACE function get_min_date() RETURNS DATE as $_$
DECLARE
x RECORD;
min_date DATE;
min_date_tmp DATE;
qry TEXT;
BEGIN
/* can also test MIN() aggregate, rather than ORDER BY/LIMIT */
FOR x IN EXECUTE 'select tablename from pg_tables where tablename
like ''part_20%''' loop
qry := 'SELECT logdate FROM '||x.tablename||' ORDER BY logdate
LIMIT 1';
EXECUTE qry INTO min_date_tmp;
IF (min_date IS NULL OR (min_date_tmp IS NOT NULL AND
min_date_tmp<min_date)) THEN
min_date := min_date_tmp;
END IF;
END LOOP;