Re: modules

From: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
To: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
Cc: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: modules
Date: 2008-04-06 18:28:59
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hi,

D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> Yes but what I am suggesting goes beyond that. My idea is that there
> is a modules directory that contains a file for each installable
> module. This file would contain all the information about the module
> such as name, version, where to get the actual package, an MD5 checksum
> of the package, minimum and maximum PostgreSQL versions required, etc.

I'd suggest the approach taken by debian apt rather then pkgsrc -
instead of maintaining a whole directory structure on client side
have a couple of files as database - I guess even using the database
itself would work - and RDP (basically xml over http) which would be
different from apt approach but we are dealing with much less modules.

The most important thing we could learn from apt is to use cryptography
to secure installed modules - instead of just maintaining package
integrity with md5. After all, a database module can do almost
everything - so I'd rather know if I trust the packager.

Just my 0.2c
Tino