Re: first time hacker ;) messing with prepared statements

From: James Mansion <james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com>
To: PFC <lists(at)peufeu(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: first time hacker ;) messing with prepared statements
Date: 2008-03-30 07:36:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

PFC wrote:
> Hello,
> So, I embarked (yesterday) on a weekend project to add a new
> feature to Postgres...
> I use PHP with persistent connections and always have been
> bothered that those very small AJAX queries (usually simple selects
> returning 1 row) take more CPU in postgres to parse & plan than to
> actually execute.
Microsoft's answer to this issue with SQLServer appears to have been to
introduce a smart
cache for all statement plans. It seems to be very effective. I guess
you're doing much the
same thing but with more user intervention, in effect.

Are you sure that you application wouldn't benefit more from a MOM
solution with
persisted database connections? Have you looked at
http://safmq.sourceforge.net/?

James