Re: Restoring DB using Continuous Archive Backup

From: ashish <ashish(dot)karalkar(at)netcore(dot)co(dot)in>
To: nick <nicktjh(at)solutionx(dot)com(dot)my>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Restoring DB using Continuous Archive Backup
Date: 2008-03-28 07:25:35
Lists: pgsql-novice

nick wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, ashish.
>

> Sorry, should've been more specific.
>

> By running WAL, I mean reprocessing the WALs up to a certain point of
> time.
>

> For example:
>

> A backup is made at 0000 hours. Something happens. Restore has to be
> made at 2000.
>

> Since the backup is at 0000, 20 hours' worth of transactions will be
> stored in WAL. To get the data up to the 2000 the WALs have to be
> reprocessed. I realize the only way for this to work is by data file
> duplication, so this mean the service has to be stopped anyway to
> allow the files to be restored.

Yes , Service has to be stopped and started to restore from the WAL and
also make sure that no one connects to the database during this phase by
ensuring proper pg_hba.conf.

> But there may be a requirement to not take the system offline so I'm
> looking for a method to do the restore and WAL reprocessing without
> stopping then starting the service like described in the manual.

When something is "already happened" to database then what is it worth
to connect to that database before bringing it to proper place.

Correct me if I am mis understanding you.

Other way around i think is create another database cluster and restore
the database there instead on your current cluster. But I doubt on this.

> It would be of great help if it's possible.

With Regards
Ashish