Re: question on english strings

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Giuseppe Sacco <giuseppe(at)eppesuigoccas(dot)homedns(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-support <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: question on english strings
Date: 2008-03-25 17:23:37
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Giuseppe Sacco a écrit :
> Hi, I am about updating the Italian translation for pgAdmin but I need
> to understand the meaning of these strings:
>
> msgid "Typmod in func"
> msgid "Typmod in function"
> msgid "Typmod out func"
> msgid "Typmod out function"
>
> What is a "Typemod" ?

Type modifier.

See http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/sql-createtype.html

An excerpt :

The optional type_modifier_input_function and
type_modifier_output_function are needed if the type supports modifiers,
that is optional constraints attached to a type declaration, such as
char(5) or numeric(30,2). PostgreSQL allows user-defined types to take
one or more simple constants or identifiers as modifiers; however, this
information must be capable of being packed into a single non-negative
integer value for storage in the system catalogs. The
type_modifier_input_function is passed the declared modifier(s) in the
form of a cstring array. It must check the values for validity (throwing
an error if they are wrong), and if they are correct, return a single
non-negative integer value that will be stored as the column "typmod".
Type modifiers will be rejected if the type does not have a
type_modifier_input_function. The type_modifier_output_function converts
the internal integer typmod value back to the correct form for user
display. It must return a cstring value that is the exact string to
append to the type name; for example numeric's function might return
(30,2). It is allowed to omit the type_modifier_output_function, in
which case the default display format is just the stored typmod value
enclosed in parentheses.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org