Re: TODO Item: Consider allowing control of upper/lower case folding of unquoted, identifiers

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Russell Smith <mr-russ(at)pws(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: TODO Item: Consider allowing control of upper/lower case folding of unquoted, identifiers
Date: 2008-03-24 00:56:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Russell Smith wrote:
> The 2004 thread suggests that we want a per database setting. I am
> unable to see how we share shared relations between databases with
> different case folder.
>
> pg_user is an example of this;
>
> Lowercase database; CREATE ROLE mrruss LOGIN; results in -> mrruss
> as data in pg_user
> Uppercase database; CREATE ROLE mrruss LOGIN; resutls in -> MRRUSS
> as data in pg_user
>
> Now both of those can be accessed from any database. And you will get
> a different user based on the source database.

You could use a setting, in, say, the control file, for the global
tables. IIRC there are only three such tables.

> Overall, I'd like to concentrate on the implementation as I'm a beginner.

I'm not sure this is a very good project for a beginner - but that's
your choice.

> But I see this being mainly a problem with nailing down the actual
> requirement for the implementation. So I'll try to start the
> discussion to allow me or somebody else to eventually develop a patch
> for this.
>
> The first question is, are all the requirements of the 2004 thread
> still true now?
>
> Setting case folder at initdb time seems the easiest method but I'm
> not sure if that's what people want. Any GUC variables seem to play
> havoc with the pg_catalog schema and the data in the catalogs.
>
> Ideas and comments?

Just getting to standard compliance will satisfy some, but I suspect not
many. What a lot of people want is case sensitivity, with no folding. I
think you need to look at that as an option.

cheers

andrew