Re: Postgres database and firewall

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>
To: Bhella Paramjeet-PFCW67 <PBhella(at)Motorola(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres database and firewall
Date: 2008-03-20 18:04:19
Lists: pgsql-admin

Bhella Paramjeet-PFCW67 wrote:
> Thank you very much Shane for your response. I have one more question,
> the firewall usually drops the idle connections. What can we configure
> on the database side to keep the idle connections alive. In the
> postgresql.conf file I see the parameter tcp_keepalives_idle, setting
> this parameter would be enough to keep the idle connections alive or is
> there anything else I need to be aware of. Your help will be highly
> appreciated.

If the firewall is stopping traffic when a connection is idle for too
long then you may want to look at either changing the settings on the
firewall or have the client send some trivial command on a timed basis.

I may be wrong (I haven't looked into this in detail) but I think
tcp_keepalives_idle keeps the tcp session alive when there is no traffic
it doesn't actually send traffic to keep the session active which is
what the firewall would need.

I do know that some systems will not allow a program to change this
setting so it must be done in the system config.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz