How large file is really large - pathconf results

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How large file is really large - pathconf results
Date: 2008-03-17 16:51:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Regarding to discussion about large segment size of table files a test
pathconf function (see
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/pathconf.html).

You can see output there:

_PC_FILESIZEBITS - 3rd column
_PC_LINK_MAX - 4th column
_PC_NAME_MAX - 5th column
_PC_PATH_MAX - 6th column

Solaris Nevada ZFS 64 -1 255 1024
UFS 41 32767 255 1024
FAT 33 1 8 1024
NFS 41 32767 255 1024
Solaris 8 UFS 41 32767 255 1024
NFS 40 32767 255 1024
Centos4(2.6.11) EXT3 64 32000 255 4096
XFS 64 2147483647 255 4096
Mac OSX leopard HFS+ 64 32767 255 1024

The result is not really good :(. I tested it also on HP.UX 11.11/11.23,
Tru64 v4.0 and MacOS tiger (big thanks to Tomas Honzak for machine
access) and Tiger and Tru64 does not recognize _PC_FILESIZEBITS
definition and HP_UX returns errno=EINVAL. I also don't trust Linux
result on EXT3. It seems that only Solaris and Leopard returns
relatively correct result (33 bit on FAT FS is probably not correct).

I attached my test program, please let me know your result from your
favorite OS/FS (binary must be saved on tested FS).

However, I think we cannot use this method to test max file size on FS :(.

Comments, ideas?

Zdenek

PS: Does pg_dump strip a large file or not?

Attachment Content-Type Size
pathconf.c text/x-csrc 1.2 KB