Re: Translating Keywords

From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Robins Tharakan" <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Translating Keywords
Date: 2008-03-16 20:07:43
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Robins Tharakan wrote:
> While doing language translations (to Hindi), I often get stuck at this, so
> thought I should ask here:
>
> Should keywords (SQL, pgAdmin terms etc) be translated as well ? I prefer
> not to, but the problem here is that unlike some other languages, the script
> also changes (to an Indic font called Devnagri). So one may argue that
> leaving the keywords in English fails the basic reason for translation.
>
> Translation too, can be done in two ways, one a literal translation
> (alphabet by alphabet) and the other an actual meaning of the word in hindi
> (which may make the translation completely vague by the end of the exercise.
> for e.g. VACUUM / SELECT ).
>
> How do you decide this in other languages ? Or is it all on the translator's
> preference ?

Leave them untranslated. Translating SQL or other keywords would just
cause confusion. There's a few paragraphs about that in the translation
Howto (http://www.pgadmin.org/translation/howto.php) guidelines section
as well.

In the Finnish translation, I struggled to find an established
translation for some terms as well. In those cases better to just use
the English term than invent an artificial translation that no-one has
heard of before. I don't know if the script issue makes it harder to do
that in Hindi, though.

--
Heikki Linnakangas