Re: Reducing Transaction Start/End Contention

From: Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Jignesh K(dot) Shah" <J(dot)K(dot)Shah(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Subject: Re: Reducing Transaction Start/End Contention
Date: 2008-03-13 13:00:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 20:23 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>
>>> Is this still a TODO?
>>>
>> I think so.
>>

> How about this wording:
>
> "Review Simon's claims to improve performance

What sort of evidence is usually compelling? It seems to me that this
sort of change only benefits configurations with dozens or more CPUs/cores?

I ask, because I saw a few references to "I see no performance change -
but then, I don't have the right hardware." It seems to me that it
should be obvious that contention will only show up under very high
concurrency? :-)

Cheers,
mark

--