Re: Meaning og Logs

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Suresh Gupta VG <suresh(dot)g(at)zensar(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Meaning og Logs
Date: 2008-03-05 09:09:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Please don't start a new message by replying to someone else's message.
If you are going to, trim their message body from your message.

Suresh Gupta VG wrote:

> I got the logs as below from log file of PGSQL 7.4.2 on Solaris-9. Can
> any one please give the exact meaning of it. And I have not found the
> file any where on the server "0000000400000072".
>

> LOG: recycled transaction log file "0000000400000072"

The write-ahead-log (WAL) stores transactions in 16MB files. It keeps
several of these around and renames them (recycles) rather than deleting
old ones and creating new ones all the time.

> And I found most of the logged file contains the following statements.

> LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection

Client dropped the connection without closing it cleanly.

> WARNING: there is no transaction in progress

Something is issuing ROLLBACK/COMMIT while no explicit transaction has
been started.

> WARNING: there is already a transaction in progress

Something is issuing BEGIN after it's already been issued.

> Can I get the exact date and time of these logged statements. And what
> is the meaning of these statements.

Sure - see the logging section of postgresql.conf and the relevant
section of the manuals. You can add timestamps, user-names, client IP
addresses etc.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd