Re: Postgres port bindings changed after box restart

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Daniel Punton" <compass2k(at)gmail(dot)com>,<pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres port bindings changed after box restart
Date: 2008-03-05 14:31:46
Lists: pgsql-admin

>>> On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 5:07 PM, in message
<e969e33c0803041507p5c4fcc57m5dcd2eda01012c1a(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com>, "Daniel Punton"
<compass2k(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Our redhat server was restarted and postgres is showing different databases
> on different ports?
> Could someone explain how this might happen
> and where this information comes from (what conf for port bindings)
> as is there a way of guarenteeing this will not happen on restarts.

It sounds like you have installed multiple PostgreSQL database
clusters, and more than one is configured to start automatically.
You might want to start by reviewing the documentation on what a
cluster is:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/creating-cluster.html

Each will have its own data directory and a different port number
for connections. The port number is normally configured in the
postgresql.conf file.

-Kevin