Re: DTrace probe patch for OS X Leopard

From: Robert Lor <Robert(dot)Lor(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: DTrace probe patch for OS X Leopard
Date: 2008-02-29 21:02:07
Lists: pgsql-patches

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I think each component would have its own probes definition file.

A while back when we met in Toronto, the consensus was to only have one
provider called "postgresql" and all probes whether they be from the
backend or frontend will be grouped together in this one provider.

> Well, you are going to have to do a lot more work on the makefiles if you want
> to do it that way. Make works by defining dependencies between files, not by
> hoping that people will execute the commands in the order you write them. If
> you want every single file in the tree to depend on a rule, you will have to
> do something different.

Actually, I was able to get it to work without doing much based on your
patch. Please comment on this updated patch I submitted yesterday
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2008-02/msg00173.php

> Including only what you need is a principle. It keeps the namespace clean, it
> speads up compilation time, it makes the build system simpler and more
> efficient. Otherwise we'd only need one header file for everything.

Okay, will move the header into individual .c files.

Regards,
-Robert