Re: Deploying PostgreSQL on virtualized hardware

From: TJ O'Donnell <tjo(at)acm(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL - SQL <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>, cww(at)denterprises(dot)org
Subject: Re: Deploying PostgreSQL on virtualized hardware
Date: 2008-02-26 14:56:23
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-sql

I've been running PostgreSQL on a virtual server for
several years now. I'm using VMWare with a Windows
host and Linux guest. I've configured it to let Linux
use a raw partition as a disk. Before I used a
separate partition, the virtual disk had been a
Windows file. Using the disk partition increased
performance, but I don't recall now exactly how much.
This is a small setup with a handful of users.
The database contains only dozens of tables,
but some have ~8 million rows. I've allocated
1Mb of RAM to the virtual machine.

Hope this helps.

TJ
http://www.gnova.com