Re: lc_time and localized dates

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: lc_time and localized dates
Date: 2008-02-26 08:53:51
Lists: pgsql-patches

Euler Taveira de Oliveira napsal(a):
> Zdenek Kotala wrote:
>
>> Please, Day names does not have capitalized first letter in Czech
>> language. We have "pondeli" as a Monday. If locale does not do that it
>> is probably intention :-).
>>
> Hmmm... I don't know about that. I do it that way 'cause I'm concerned
> about some locales that don't capitalize (see above). In my head,
> (i) 'TMMonth' is February, Fevereiro, Febrero, Únor;
> (ii) 'TMmonth' is february, fevereiro, febrero, únor;
> (iii) 'TMMONTH' is FEBRUARY, FEVEREIRO, FEBRERO, ÚNOR.
>
> How would we handle that case? Is it wrong to write "Únor"?

Yes it is. Only if it is a first word in a sentence or name you should
use "Ú". Also name of day is 'pondělí' (Monday) with small p

If I read description of "Month" pattern, it says "full mixed-case month
name (blank-padded to 9 chars)". By my opinion this patter should keep
standard locale behavior - it means for English February, for Czech únor.

Zdenek